Electricité Réseau Distribution France

erdfERDF manages 95% of the electricity distribution network in continental France. The remaining 5% is distributed by Local Distribution Companies. This network belongs to local authorities (French municipalities or groups of municipalities), who subcontract to ERDF as an operator through a public service delegation. ERDF employs 38,211 people and operates 618,000 km of low voltage lines, 697,000 km of high voltage lines and 35 million delivery points in metropolitan France. ERDF serves approximately 34,000 of the 36,500 towns in France. The company has two major public service duties:

  • Service continuity and quality: managing nearly 1.3 million km of electric lines, ERDF is responsible for continuous public electricity service. To fulfill this role, the company operates, maintains and develops the network. ERDF also invests in modernizing and securing the network, particularly against extreme weather conditions.
  • Non-discriminatory access to the distribution network: in compliance with regulations, ERDF ensures that users have transparent, objective and non-discriminatory access to the network. The company also guarantees the confidentiality of commercially sensitive information handled, having developed a code of conduct for this specific purpose.

Activities of the company with respect to “smart city” topics

ERDF assists cities in the creation of their energy, environmental and urban development policies by providing consumption and production data. These data are crucial for them to improve their urban planning. At the moment, ERDF provides cities with consumption data per type of customers and production capacities aggregated at the city scale. In the future, ERDF will be able to assist local government even more by providing data aggregated at smaller scale using for example the Linky Smart Meter.

Support or services

ERDF is willing to offer to the public / interested parties, after the project has ended. If applicable, costs for such services should be listed and contacts persons. ERDF is working as a partner of Grand Lyon on this project to help the city’s energy planning. ERDF and Grand Lyon managed to do an electricity-consumption diagnostic of the Part Dieu district in respecting the confidentiality rules. This project opens interesting perspectives for integrating smart grid solutions in local energy planning.

www.erdfdistribution.fr

Key Personnel

 Francoise Lysiane Chargé
Smart Grids Projets in Rhone Alpes Bourgogne Area
lysiane.charge@erdf.fr
 Lysaine Françoise Courtine
Relations with local authorities, licensing authorities of the distribution of electricity
francoise.courtine@erdf.fr
 
Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on Tumblr